The Lions have locked up one of their young stars for the foreseeable future.

Detroit signed All-Pro linebacker Jack Campbell to a four-year extension, which puts him under contract with the team through the 2030 NFL season, the team announced Thursday.

The extension is worth $81 million, $51.5 million of which is guaranteed, ESPN reported.

Campbell’s deal comes after the Lions declined to exercise the fifth-year option of his rookie contract last month.

The option was estimated at $21.925 million, which would have made Campbell the NFL’s highest-paid off-ball linebacker.

Campbell, 25, was selected by the Lions with the 18th pick of the 2023 NFL Draft and has steadily improved in each of his first three professional seasons.

He had a breakout season in 2025, finishing with a team-high 176 total tackles, nine tackles for loss, and five sacks, earning first-team All-Pro honors along with his first Pro Bowl selection.

“This is Jack Campbell’s defense, and I don’t hesitate when I say that,” defensive coordinator Kelvin Sheppard said at the NFL Scouting Combine this offseason. “This is Jack Campbell’s defense and everyone in that locker room knows it. Point blank period. It all goes through Jack.”

Campbell’s deal comes as Detroit is also looking to secure extensions for running back Jahmyr Gibbs, tight end Sam LaPorta, and defensive back Brian Branch, all of whom the Lions selected in 2023.

LaPorta and Branch are set to become unrestricted free agents following the 2026 season if the Lions are unable to work out extensions.

Detroit exercised the fifth-year option on Gibbs’ contract, which is valued at $14.29 million in 2027.

“The bottom line is this: we want Gibbs here for a long time. He is truly a centerpiece for our offense, of our team. That’s really the main thing,” Holmes told NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero in February.

Share.
Exit mobile version