The Atlanta Dream tried to put a stop to the ongoing transgender debate in the WNBA — at least in their house at Gateway Center Arena.
A local Georgia mom, Casey, and her daughter, Annie, both wore XX-XY Athletics t-shirts to the Fever’s 97-91 win over the Dream on Sunday night.
During overtime, the mother and daughter were told by Atlanta security that their shirts were “offensive” and they were told to put on a “Wellness Night” Dream t-shirts instead. If they didn’t, they would be removed from the arena.
“We were made to cover up our XX-XY shirts at this game,” the mom said outside the arena after the game to a fellow WNBA fan. “They gave us t-shirts during overtime and told us we had to leave or cover our shirts up. This just happened.”
“We did nothing,” the mom added. “We were just sitting there. I didn’t make signs. I wanted to make signs, but I didn’t. I did nothing.”
The mother and daughter claimed a fan who was put on the jumbotron wearing a “Protect Trans Rights” shirt told security about the duo because the fan was forced to zip up her jacket over the shirt, which the mom claimed is “bulls–t too.”
“She shouldn’t have to zip up,” she said.
The two said they paid $1,000 each for their tickets and came to the game in support of Sophie Cunningham and women within women’s sports.
“It’s just common sense,” the mom added.
The daughter, who said she has been an athlete in a variety of sports including soccer, said the issue has never come up for her.
“I can’t believe that just happened in Atlanta, Georgia,” the mom concluded.
The topic has recently flooded the WNBA after Cunningham’s ESPN interview where she said she wanted to “protect young girls” against “biological men.”
The Fever player doubled down on her take, which sparked anti-trans athlete rallies in support of the 30-year-old at arenas she was playing at.
The WNBA had their hand forced into an anti-hate task force meeting that consisted of general managers and presidents. It found “no immediate eligibility matters affecting” the league.
“We strongly denounce the bad-faith efforts to use these topics to demean or marginalize others,” a spokesperson for the league added.
WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert also addressed the topic previously said in a memo that regarding trans-athlete participation, the league will “always approach this topic thoughtfully, respectfully, and in alignment with the longstanding values of our league. Second, our player eligibility rules, unlike the eligibility rules of some other leagues and governing bodies, are collectively bargained.”















